Cucumber is a very well known vegetable in the world having a number of hidden health benefits for our overall body.
Cucumber is a wonderful source of fiber, vitamin A, vitamin B, vitamin K, potassium, copper, magnesium, and phytonutrients like flavonoids having antioxidant, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties.
Cucumber is made up of 95% water and is low in calories. This nutritionally dense vegetable is packed with nutrients. Lignans found in cucumbers have immune boosting effects.
Cucumber is low in calories, fat, cholesterol and carbohydrates. A 100 gram serving of cucumber provides only 12 calories as carbohydrates. These all qualities of cucumber make it an amazing food that everyone should have in diet.
15 Health Benefits of Cucumber
1. Heart & Blood Pressure : Cucumbers are rich in potassium (an electrolyte) which helps in lowering the blood pressure level and also maintains the aptitude of the nerve impulse and heart. Cucumber also has vitamin K which is essential for healthy flow of blood in your entire body.
2. Hydration : Cucumber is 95% water that’s why it helps to keep your body hydrated and also helps to abolish your body toxins. It contains a number of vitamins that our body needs.
3. Fight Cancer : Cucumber contains phytonutrients that have anti-cancer properties. It also contains pinoresinol, secoisolariciresinol and lariciresinol which help to reduce the risk of various types of cancer such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer and prostate cancer.
4. Glowing skin : Cucumber contains adequate amount of silica in it which helps in developing healthy and glowing skin. Its high water content keeps your skin hydrated and thus it moisturizes your skin. You can also use its extract to make face pack for your skin. Cucumbers are used topically for various types of skin problems, including dark circles, swelling or puffiness under the eyes and sunburn. Two compounds in cucumbers, ascorbic acid and caffeic acid, prevent water retention which may explain why cucumbers applied topically are often helpful for swollen eyes, burns and dermatitis.
5. Digestion : Cucumbers are wonderful source of fiber and water. The water content of cucumber helps to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux in your stomach by temporarily increasing stomach pH and the fiber in cucumber helps food to go through your digestive tract more easily and quickly for healthy removal.
6. kidney cleansing : Cucumber has high water content in it which supports the kidney cleansing through urination. Also it is found that if you consume cucumber regularly, it dissolve kidney stones over time.
7. Cure Bad Breath : Cucumber contains phytonutrients which helps to kill the bacteria present in your mouth, causing bad breath. Put a slice of cucumber in your mouth and then press it with your tongue to the top of your mouth for about 30 seconds.
8. Diabetes : Cucumber boosts the process of insulin production. The carbohydrate contributes in increasing glucose level but in cucumber the level of carbohydrate is very low and a diabetic patient can easily digest it. It helps to keep the level of glucose in check.
9. Weight Loss : Cucumber has low level of calorie and high water level which makes it one of the best diet foods for weight loss. The soluble fiber in cucumber helps in slowing down your digestion which in turn makes you feel full for longer time. Since they are 95% water, they fill you up adding volume to meals. With 16 calories per cup, cucumbers are nutritionally dense, this means you can eat more and feel satiated.
10. Hair Growth : Cucumber is rich in sulphur and silicon which stimulates the healthy hair growth. Drinking a glass of cucumber juice daily can also help you in controlling hair fall. So add cucumber in your daily diet plan.
11. Alkaline effect : Cucumbers are amazingly alkalizing, which is great especially for people who have acidic bodies due to wrong eating habits. Your body has to be slightly alkaline, if you wish to be healthy.
12. Uric Acid, Arthritis & Joint Pain : Cucumber works as a diuretic: The high water content cleanses the body by removing toxic and old waste material. Cucumbers help eliminate uric acid, which is beneficial for people with arthritis and joint pains. The magnesium content in cucumber relaxes nerves and muscles and helps blood circulating smoothly.
13. Constipation : Cucumber juice is light on the bowel, acts like a natural laxative and can be a remedy for chronic constipation.
14. Boosts Immunity : Ayurvedic Expert says Cucumber juice provides the body with a whole slew of minerals, hormones and compounds which help in protecting your body from diseases. It is loaded with antioxidants and also protects you from seasonal infections such as viral.
15. Detoxes Your Body : Due to its high water content, cucumber juice cleanses the body by removing toxic and old waste materials. It makes for a powerful detox drink. You can also pair it with lemon and mint for better results.